Skip to main content

A Magic called Macro Photography

(A flower. Mi A2, with macro lens)

How big is our world? Quite big, right? But how big are our gardens? Pretty small - for us, anyway. But in these gardens lie many tiny, micro creatures whose whole world is just the garden. The art (read 'patience') of capturing this micro-world is known as "Macro Photography". It's called so because the size of the subject in the photograph is greater than life-size.

I got into macro photography quite early on. It was something that I had liked even before starting my photography hobby. I bought a set of mobile lenses. It was exciting. I started taking macro pictures of everything. I mean, every single thing, from mud to carpets. They all looked so different in the pics.

My very first pic in that lens was of a guava flower.

(Honor 4X with a macro lens on)
It's nothing, actually. But it was a start. There is always a learning curve. But the learning curve doesn't seem so tough when you're enjoying what you're doing.

The next 2 pictures, in chronological order, are taken using Honor 4X with the macro lens attached.

(An Arabian Jasmine, I think)

(A housefly)

This housefly was my first real good capture. These are not the flies we see inside the house. They don't fly away so easily, so it was not that difficult to take this pic. The lens was just 3 cm away from the fly.

And the next 2 are taken from my phone Mi A3, with a macro lens attached.

(Close-up pic of my cat)

(A flower after rain)

 Patience is the key to macro photography. A slight movement will make the picture out of focus. The image is changed in millimeters, literally. This is why we need to take hundreds of pictures and then curate the ones that are in focus.

These next pictures are from Canon 1500D with the kit lens but reverse-attached. During this lockdown, I learned a lot about macro photography, and I really enjoyed taking all these pics.

(Carrhotus Spider)
This tiny world never fails to amaze us. The ant-mimicking spiders are exactly what their name implies. They look just like ants, you can't differentiate. They live among ants, then lure them into their webs. Free food yay..? Not exactly. They have a lot of work to do before they can lure the ants in. But it's just so splendid that nature finds different ways for survival.
(Ant-mimicking spider)

(Ant-mimicking spider)

(Oxyopes Birmanicus)

(Housefly)

(Housefly)

(Carrhotus Spider)

These pics are taken in my backyard. The spiders here, and generally around you, are harmless. They normally stay away from humans. But if some spider does come near you, don't scream and kill it. They don't have anything to do with you. It's okay if you don't like spiders, but don't harm them.

I read recently that some photographers kill the 'subjects' and take them to the studio to take their pictures. Because it's easier that way. It's so disgusting. Needless to say, I didn't kill any insect or spider to take their pictures.

Thank you for reading! And if you liked it, please share it. See you all!

Comments

  1. Splendid....super..dear....these insects are really amazing....and through your lens...it creates a magic...🙂🙂 waiting to see more...👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice intro to the macro world. Hope to see more of this magical world captured by you in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! Sure, will post more about this.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Why We Do What We Do?

  Before you start wondering if this is a photography blog or some philosophical one, let me just save you the time and tell you that this, indeed, is a photography blog. It's been a minute since I last wrote a blog. Too consumed, too lazy, too out of things to write, or at least, that's what I thought. But, I have tons to write about. Turns out I was just lazy. What makes us do or not do anything? What makes us wake up in the morning? Why did I start writing this blog that I had saved in drafts for over a year? The thought of doing something usually fills our head with a good feeling or a bad feeling. But the world as we know is not made of "Good or bad". It's normally the in-between. The world is filled with averages. "Average people are the most special people in the world. And that's why God made so many of them" -Michael Scott's Mom -Michael Scott [The Office] . I may leave you with more questions than answers by the end of this blog. I'

A Once-In-A-Year Relationship with Kumara Parvatha

There is a proverb in Kannada, "Doorada betta kannige nunnage", which literally translates to "The mountain far away always looks good" or something like that. The closest English equivalent proverb could be, "The grass is always greener on the other side". But for the sake of fun, we shall be using the Kannada version. Because people who try out this trek for the first time without experience and without fitness, they all feel that they should have just enjoyed the view of the mountain from below, in front of the Kukke Subramanya temple. But there is so much this trek offers that are way too difficult to put into words. I can only describe it as "Magical" I have been to KP (Kumara Parvatha) twice. But in this blog, I will be writing only about the first time. Everyone knows that the first time's always the best. There are two starting points to the trek. One from the Kukke side (the popular one), and another from the Somawarapete side starti

Light Painting Technique

(Vidhana Soudha. Mi A3) This post is more of a guide type of post. So, I'll try not to make it boring. I'm going to talk about a mode called Light Painting, which you might or might not have heard of, but you would have come across the pictures at least once. I'm doing this post because some people told me that it's not possible to take pictures like that after I posted a couple of these on Instagram. It's totally possible, and anyone can do it. It's simple by the core. The name says it all. You paint with the lights.  So, how do you paint with light? A: You keep the shutter open for a longer time. What's shutter, and how do you keep it open? A: Shutter is the door to the image sensor where the image gets recorded. The sensor is our eye, and the shutter is the eyelid. The longer the shutter stays open the more light gets captured. These are just basics, there is also aperture that needs to be taken into consideration. What is aperture, you ask? A: It, to